With around 1300 pupils aged 11 to 18, the mixed secondary school and sixth form located in Staffordshire was looking for expert support to enhance the heating and hot water to the school and the neighbouring leisure centre with 25 metre swimming pool.
Following a competitive tender process, Lord Combustion Services were enlisted to undertake the design and installation of a modern, reliable, efficient, low carbon heating and hot water system.
From an initial review of their requirements and the existing installation, Lord provided a comprehensive design for the school which incorporated the following design features and benefits:
- A holistic review of the existing building service systems
- Decommissioning of fossil fuelled equipment where possible
- Installation of new ASHP (Air Source Heat Pump) units to supplement the existing equipment in a hybrid configuration
- Install new circuits to link decommissioned plant rooms to new hybrid system
- Design and installation of new BMS control systems with efficient software strategies including weather compensation, optimisation and control of hybrid system operation
- Thermal insulation
- Full commissioning, demonstration and instruction
- Capacity to plan individual events such as parent evenings and school events, setting levels for individual zones up to months in advance.
Director of Estates: “This project ticked every box. Not only did the system vastly improve the facility for the school to control areas individually to suit occupancy times but also supports our aims to continually reduce our carbon footprint towards net zero. Lord Combustion worked with us from design to completion. We benefitted from a high-quality service throughout.
“Lord Combustion Services provided us with an innovative hybrid solution to our problem and carried out the works in a professional manner. Throughout the project they continually supported us, reacting to issues that we encountered outside of the project scope but which they could assist with. We are keen to keep Lord Combustion as our commercial heating service provider and would recommend Lord Combustion Services for any school heating project.”
Lord Combustion Services summary
Stuart Smith, Managing Director: “Working to the school’s project brief, we were pleased to deliver a system which modernises their heating, reduces the schools carbon footprint and gives their site team greater control at a time when utility bills remain high.
“We know that budgets are important for schools and academies, not just for capital works but also for ongoing running costs and efficiency levels.”
ASHP (Air Source Heat Pumps)
Model: Aerotop L / M
Total max output: 420kW
Total Thermal Buffer Storage: 5000 litres